Every woman wants clear, smooth, beautiful skin, unfortunately, many of us do things that give us the exact opposite. So stop the nine habits below to get the skin you always dreamed of.
- Bleaching: For some reasons, psychologists are yet to fathom, women are never satisfied with what they are blessed with. Could that be why many African women bleach their skins while Caucasians tan theirs? Both damage the skin, and make you look older than your age, not to mention the fact that it leads to major health problems like body odour, cancer, liver damage etc And nobody really likes to see a Fanta face on a Coca cola body, enough said!
- Over exfoliating your skin: So yes, it is good to scrub your face to get rid of the old dead layer of skin, but the belief that the more intense a product is, the more likely it is to work iserroneous. The truth is that products with powerful ingredients, particularly exfoliants, can damage your skin if they’re too harsh.
- Using non-disposable makeup applicators: You most likely now know that it is important to wash your makeup brushes at least once a week to remove bacteria. Many of us make the mistake of using the beauty tool that comes packaged with a new product—until the product runs out. Use disposable sponges, eye-shadow brushes, mascara brushes, etc instead, to save your skin from damage.
- Not using sunscreen in cold weather: SPF (Sun protection factor) is not just for hot weather months. UV rays are present even in cooler weather, which means you should be wearing sunscreen every day.
- Not using the right products: There is a reason you need to need to know your skin type,taking the time to find out your skin type is one of the most important steps in skincare, this will dictate the skincare products—as well as makeup and other beauty products—that are right for your skin. If you’re not sure, consult a skincare expert who can determine your needs and tailor your routine.
- Bathing with very hot water: Bathing with extremely hot water is a major no no. Why? They may be relaxing, but long, hot showers can actually damage your skin. The heat from the water strips skin of its natural oils, leaving you with a dry, rough complexion.
- Using the same product for too long: Our skin is constantly changing along with the rest of our bodies. If the products you’re using aren’t giving you the results you desire, consider an alternative. Aestheticians state that factors such as aging and climate change may cause your skincare products to act differently. Major tips, when you hit age 30, start using anti aging products.
- Washing your face with very cold water: You may have heard about the benefits of a cold shower, but just like one that’s too hot, too cold can dry out your skin. Instead, use warm water to open up your pores and splash some cooler water at the end to close them.
- Not frequently changing your pillowcases: The honest truth is that not changing your pillowcases frequently can reactivate acne and other skin issues. We know that going to bed can be very relaxing, but pillowcases can house a ton of dirt and oil from your skin and hair. At the barest minimum change your bed sheets and pillowcases once a week.
Curled from The Nation